Thursday, February 25, 2016

Anniversaries. My Dad.

Today is 2 years to the day since my Dad died.

There is hardly a day when something about him, doesn’t just pop into my head.  They are usually funny thoughts because he was a hilarious guy.  Being around him made me smile and everyone else that was lucky enough to be in his environment.

Even down to the last moments of his life.  He took it with aplomb, as he did everything. 

He had moved here when I was a baby, so about fifty years ago.  He had been the Chief Inspector of the police.  He had been a father; a friend. There wasn't a person I knew that didn't like him; and if there was, I wouldn't care to meet them.

In the ride to the facility where he died, the ambos stopped so Dad could cast his eye over Eastern Beach.

That was such a lovely thing to do and I will always be indebted to them.  They pulled over and opened up the two back doors.  Dad was tired, but he made it up on his elbows to look over the skyline of Eastern Beach.

He took a final look.  Drinking in the surrounds; let it wash over him.  Then he turned and said “let’s get this bloody show on the road!”


That was Dad.  Although my eyes sting with tears; that is the thought I will hold of him.

Love and Miss You Dad. xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment